Running a quiz for your audience is a great way to get them energised, test their knowledge or track their learning all while keeping them engaged and providing a little bit of friendly competition.
Vevox lets you do all of this whilst also staying true to the values of providing an anonymous and pressure free environment for participants.
For a quick overview, watch this short video explaining how to run a quiz
Create your questions
- In the polls section press 'Create new poll'.
- Select either a Multichoice or Numeric question type.
- Enter your question text and choices.
- Select the 'correct answer' checkbox and specify which is the correct answer.
- When finished press the 'Add' button.
- Repeat this step for to add in all your questions.
Tip: Struggling to think of some simple quiz questions? Try our sample content.
Running the quiz
- Press 'Present' to open up the Present view.
Present view serves 3 purposes, it lets your participants see exactly what's going on and also lets you control the flow of the session. One of the important things is that it gives your audience the all important instructions on how to join by going to vevox.app and entering in the ID.
Open the first poll by pressing the 'Open poll' button on the control bar.
With the poll open you can view the number of participants that have responded in the top right corner of the display. This lets you judge when you have given people enough time and you can move to the next step.
An option when polling in Vevox is to show the live results as they come in. For quizzing we recommend waiting until the poll has ended until showing the audience how everyone else voted, you don't want the audience to sway each other especially if you are trying to get an accurate understanding of their knowledge.
- Close the poll by pressing the 'Close poll' button.
When the poll closes all voting will be locked and the result will be displayed.
- Display the correct answer by pressing the 'Show correct answer' button.
This is an optional step but highly recommended to keep your audience engaged as you step through the quiz. When you are ready to move on press the 'Exit poll button'
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 for until you are ready to display the leaderboard.
You have full control of how you want to conduct your quiz. Quiz questions can be asked quick-fire, one after the other or spread out throughout your session.
- Display the leaderboard by pressing the 'Show leaderboard' button.
The leaderboard can be show at any time you like. As soon as you have asked the first question which has a correct answer it will appear on the control bar as an option to be displayed.
You can display it after each question, after a group of questions or keep the suspense building and wait until the very end.
What does the leaderboard show?
The purpose of the leaderboard is to give the presenter and the audience an overview of how the group has performed as a whole during the quiz.
The leaderboard displays:
- First place, the number of questions they have answered correctly and how many people have achieved this position.
- Subsequent places, depending on tied scores the placings can differ but for each place you get to see how many questions they answered correctly and how many participants achieved this position.
- The number of questions asked so far.
- The number of participants that have taken part.
- The average score of all participants.
- The most difficult question or questions (and how many participants answered it correctly).
What do participants see on their devices?
As well as the leaderboard in Present view, participants will see an individualised display on their devices detailing exactly how they have performed in the quiz and it allows them to see where they fit in amongst the group as a whole.
The participant device displays:
- Your position in the leaderboard
- The number of questions you answered correctly
- The total number of participants
- The average score of all participants
- The option to share your place with others
What does the social sharing link do in the participant app?
The 'care to share' link in the participant app is an option the participant has if they want to show off their position in the quiz. There is no integration with third party apps that passes personal information. The sharing feature is a simple clipboard which copies some pre-formatted text that the participant can then share with any app of their choice on their device. No personal data is ever shared, the only information shared is their position if they finished in the top 3 or if they finished outside of this then it will just show details of their participation.
How can I see participant names in identified sessions?
When you are running your quiz in identified mode you can press the 'Full List' button. This will show a pop-out display showing the list of names for each participant grouped by the place they are on the leaderboard.